Monday, May 3, 2010

To sleep, perchance to dream

I love sleep. Strangely, I'm not a napper though. I don't like to feel like I'm missing out on things, so sleeping during the day isn't always my favorite. However, I do love to sleep, mostly because I have the most entertaining, most random, most vivid, funniest dreams ever. Seriously. They're awesome.

When I was little, I had a recurring dream that whenever my brother and sister pulled on my dad's arms, he morphed into Jabba the Hut from Star Wars. I still have flashes of memory of them on the stairs and my parents' bedroom getting ready to pull, although in my dream I always ran away before it happened. Don't ask me how I knew what happened since I never actually saw it. Dream esp I guess. I also once had a very vivid dream that there was a fairy tale land in my ceiling and the tortise and the hare pulled me up to give me a tour. The most random part about this dream is that I dreamt that they dropped me back through a ceiling panel at the end, and I woke up under that very tile, on the other side of my bed's headboard. Creepy, right?

I often dream that I am being chased, but usually I'm super fast and can jump really high. Like a superhero. I have also been known to have dreams that came true, such as when I dreamt my sister was pregnant and asked her about it right after they found out about Allie, or when I dreamt that my sister-in-law would have a girl when she was pregnant with Siri. It's true, I'm psychic sometimes.

My dreams tend to occur in the same places. If I have scary dreams, they almost always happen in the house we lived in in Rockwell City, Iowa. Considering what went on in our time there, it's not too surprising. A lot of times I find myself back at school, either high school or college. One time right after I started college I had a dream that I was back in high school, but had my college textbooks, and they were too big to fit in my high school locker. I know. Deep, right?

Last night I had a dream that I was pregnant. Like, almost ready to pop pregnant. And I was at my grandparents' old "house on the hill" in Windom, MN. In my dream, I changed my mind about having a baby. I decided it would hurt too much, so I didn't want to do it anymore. (Strangely, this isn't the first time I've had a dream where I was going to have a baby and changed my mind at the last second...that time it took place in the Administration building at Augie, where I worked throughout college.) Anyway, unlike other pregnancy dreams (there aren't that many, honest...) I actually knew who the father was. Oh wow that sounds horrible. I just mean that in this dream that part actually played into the plot. How? Well, I was trying to text him to let him know. Except the way I was texting was a little strange. I had to press the letters of the message individually into a stamp pad. They would stay for a while, and then disappear, and the response would appear. My mind works in strange ways. Fortunately, the dream ended before I had to give birth. Not quite ready for that yet!

Phyllis has a book that is supposed to help interpret dreams. Phyllis, what does this dream mean???

What are your funniest/most memorable dreams? Do you believe in prophetic dreams, or finding meaning in them? Or are they just random firings in the brain? Your brain's way of processing information?

Mmmm, all this talk about dreaming is making me sleepy. Can't wait to see what's on the brain tube tonight!

4 comments:

  1. Here's what the dream book says. . .It could signify a commitment to something once the first step has been taken because you can't be half pregnant it is all or nothing.

    It could also signify "giving birth" to a creative project or a project that you have put a lot of time and energy into. Depending on how you feel about the pregnancy can indicate how you feel about the project. Or could be a symbol of opportunity.

    Last but not least it could be simple wish fulfillment. . .Rena are you wishing to get pregnant? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I don't think I've made any commitments lately...though that doesn't mean I don't want to...

    2) No new projects either, but I've been working on that novel for a long time. What do you suppose it means that I changed my mind at the last minute?

    3) Uhhh...no wishes for pregnancy. Someday. There are other steps to be taken first though, lol. Maybe I just want to be like the other bazillion of my friends who are pregnant right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that your time in RC causes scary dreams. For what it's worth, I have lots of good memories of you and your family. Although I don't dream about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Liz! Don't worry, you are not in my scary dreams. It was just kind of a creepy house sometimes and I lived my toughest years there (middle school, eep!). :)

    ReplyDelete