Saturday, January 9, 2010

Just dance

This blog has been percolating in my head for about a week now, and apparently I'm too slow, because I just read someone else's blog about dancing. But that's okay, it just means that other people are on board the dancing train too. So to speak. Perhaps I should back up and explain what the heck I'm talking about first, eh?

I was babysitting last weekend, and we were being bums and watching TV after dinner. Allie was sleeping on the couch, and Maddy was on my lap, chattering as usual. The opening song came on for the show we were watching and suddenly she stopped, looked at me with an excited expression, and jumped down from my lap to boogie. The song lasted all of 30 seconds, but I couldn't help but join right in. Her excitement was infectious. And I thought to myself, wow, I really love that. My other nieces and my nephew are the same way. I love that they take every opportunity to dance, no matter how short lived it may be. I can't help but wonder when the rest of us forgot how to dance.

Of course I'm not necessarily talking about dancing in the literal sense, although my aunt told me she is a card-carrying member of the spontaneous dance club, and I must admit that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm talking more about taking every opportunity presented to us, not letting them pass us by because they are going to be short-lived. My goal is to stop sitting on the sidelines, to sieze opportunities. To drop the unimportant things for the chance to do something more. To stop talking and start doing.

I love spending time with children. I learn so much from them. They see things with fresh, innocent eyes, free of the cynicism so many of us develop as we age. Life isn't as complicated as we make it.

Just dance.


1 comment:

  1. Just dance is SO right. And I agree. Children are the best teachers.

    Where can I get one of these cards?

    Thanks for this post, friend. Glad we relate.

    Going to dance NOW! It has become my nightly ritual. There is NO WAY I can be angry before bed if I dance. So good. So refreshing! Love it. Love life!

    ReplyDelete