Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Resolutions

I've never been much for New Year's resolutions. It just seems so cliche. I mean, if you're going to do something, it seems like you should just do it, not wait for a certain date. The past few weeks, however, have convinced me that it's time for change. And it just happens to coincide with the start of the New Year.

I have been very blessed in my life. Seriously. I have a fabulous family. I have been so insanely blessed to have three nieces and a nephew and to be close enough to watch them grow. I have a good job and I love the people I work with. I have the best friends in the entire world. For real. They're amazing.

I recently read Donald Miller's new book, and it's all about life and how everyone's life is a story. In the book, Don was working with people to write a script for a movie based on his first book, Blue Like Jazz. Throughout the process, he started to realize that he wasn't living his best story. I feel the same way sometimes, like I'm an observer in my own story, instead of the main character. I avoid conflict, but conflict is what grows us, it's how we learn. I make the easy choices, but again, where is the growth in that? Sure, I could continue doing what I'm doing and be fine. I'm content with my life.

But I don't want to settle. I want to see what else there is. I want to go places, experience things. So now, looking at the passing of another year (how quickly the years seem to be slipping away!), and anticipating the beginning of a new one, I am making a resolution. Not a New Year's resolution, but a new life resolution. I might fail. But if I don't even try, then I have already failed.

Happy New Year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment