Saturday, February 27, 2010

A message from the sickly

Being sick is boring. I always get in trouble for doing things like texting and emailing while I'm sick. People seem to think that when I'm sick I should just watch TV and sleep, maybe wake up to eat some soup and drink some orange juice. I hate being sick. I like doing all those things by choice, but force me into it and I become downright belligerent. It annoys me that I can't walk to the bathroom without feeling like I've run around the block. It's frustrating to see my dishes pile up when I haven't got the energy to be up long enough to do anything about it. It's been almost a week that I've felt sick, four days that I've been stuck in this apartment. I went out Thursday to go to the doctor, who cheerfully let me know I have walking pneumonia, and to fill my prescriptions, and it about did me in. So of course I went out again yesterday. Now yesterday was a very important errand, because I really needed to get something to chase my cough syrup, which has a taste that is indescribably nasty. Really, I was trying to think of something with which to compare it and came up empty. I need to take another dose and I'm avoiding it. Other than those times out I've been mostly staring off into space or watching movies. OH and I finished my 19th book this year. But reading makes my head wonky. See how boring being sick is? It even makes this blog more boring than usual!

I did watch an interesting movie called "The Invention of Lying." It's just recently come out on DVD, so I'm sure most people have heard of it. Such an interesting idea, a world where everyone tells the absolute truth, not even lies of omission. It made me think about how many times we lie or stretch the truth day to day. Even at the doctor's office, when the doctor came in and asked how I was, I was like, "Oh, I'm okay," when couldn't have been further from the truth. In the movie, every time someone asked how someone else was, they got an answer like, "Not so good, I'm really depressed and actually contemplating suicide." When this guy discovers his ability to lie, he actually helps people by telling them there is hope, even if he doesn't believe it. Really kinda made me think. But not too much, because my brain is fuzzy these days.

I'm watching a movie adapted from a Jane Austen novel, and I can't decide if I like it or not. I'm not really following though. Maybe I should stick to reading the books first so I at least know what's going on. But I still sometimes want to live in those times. And I want to go to England. And to the ocean. But mostly I'm just ready to get off this stupid couch. And sleep. I kept waking myself up with my wheezing while I was breathing last night. I tried to stop, but that probably wasn't the best idea either. It kept working its way into my dreams. I dreamt a woman was crying, but I woke up and it was just my lungs. Crying.

Achoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment